Friday, June 4, 2010

Copping It Sweet

Date: March 2010.
Job: City Homicide
Location: South Melbourne

I'm at a studio in the city for a four hour 'call'. I'm playing a social worker. It's been a few hours since breakfast and I'm feeling a bit peckish. One of the regular extras, a petite and pretty 'cop' (not sure how believable that is) shows me where there's coffee and fruit. I grab a tiny apple and wait outside the set with the others (a male and female 'uniform', a male detective and an Asian female detective who looks about 19 and is so tiny the suit is just about falling off her--not sure how believable that is, either!). There's no rush. You always have to wait. I should know. I'm a professional. But then someone comes over and says, 'Can you all come with me.' I'm munching on the apple, it's yummy and I don't want to throw it in the bin. The next thing I know, I'm on set, a police interview room, and Nadine Garner comes over and introduces herself heartily. I put the apple core in my other hand and she shakes my apple juiced hand. I apologise for it. She's intense and has amazing blue eyes. They start filming. No-one's told me what to do, apart from where to sit, and I've got an apple core in my hand along with folders and a pen that they've given me. So I go with the flow. Thank goodness it's only a rehearsal. I look for a bin just outside the set but can't see one. A crew member comes in and fiddles with a wire so I ask him what to do and he takes it from me. Phew.


The scene is quite a dramatic one involving a 'minor'. Finally someone gives me some direction. I'm told to share a glance with the second detective at a particular point in the scene. On the second take I miss it altogether. Oops. I concentrate really hard so I don't miss it the next time. But I'm not sure it 'feels right.' At home I repeat the 'glance' in the mirror. No! I did it all wrong. It should have been a quick, 'It's okay' sort of glance, not a slow ponderous, 'Hm, I'm not sure about that' sort of glance. I'm kicking myself. You might actually get to see me on TV this time. Hopefully my failure is not too obvious. Did Meryl Streep ever doubt herself like this?


I resolve to do better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment